Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are that you’ve heard the big news – INSTAGRAM ISN’T JUST A PHOTO SHARING APP ANYMORE.
Watch the full announcement here.
In the video, Adam explains that Instagram is “always trying to build new features that help you get the most out of your experience. Right now, we’re focused on four key areas: Creators, Video, Shopping and Messaging.”
This is then followed by the horrifying phrase, ”we’re no longer a photo-sharing app or a square photo-sharing app.”
But what people heard was, “INSTAGRAM WILL ONLY PROMOTE VIDEOS AND REELS COS’ THEY WANT TO BE THE NEW TIKTOK.”
What does this mean for my Instagram account?
Whoa, chill bro. Take a deep breath.
Yes, it’s true – Instagram is changing. But it’s not as dire as you might think.
Adam’s video made many people believe that Instagram would only be promoting Reels and video content from now on and not showing still images to almost any of their followers.
Er – not quite. Instagram still values its photo creators. But moving forward, the platform will be “experimenting with embracing video more broadly.”
What does this mean? It means that Instagram isn’t ONLY a photo-sharing app anymore. It wants to entertain, educate and inspire its users. So video will become a more important part of the platform.
What should you do?
So now that you know that your beautifully curated grid isn’t going anywhere, what should you do to prepare?
Simple – make more video content. There’s never been a better time to embrace it!
And remember, videos 60 seconds or shorter can be shared directly onto your feed.
Video content ideas for Instagram
Making more videos for Instagram sounds easy enough, but what if you’re all tapped out of ideas? We hear you, fam. Here are our top picks for video content ideas.
- Tips and tricks for your industry
- Behind the scenes look into your process
- A day in the life of you
- Jump on the latest trend – or create your own!
- Answer any FAQs
- How-to videos
- Interview experts in your industry
- Recap a blog post
- New updates about your products or services
- Introduce yourself and your team
- A tour of your office, factory or home office
- Your favourite books, products, films – you can’t go wrong!
- Announce a product or collect launch
- Host a Q&A with your followers
- Interview someone using the ‘Live Rooms’ feature
- Host a mini webinar
- Share a funny story that happened to you today
- Live stream an event or conference – just make sure to get permission first!